Monday, June 22, 2009

welcome to my garden

I decided to branch off my 'inmanclan' blog and focus one entirely on gardening. As the summer progresses I hope to have a large group who will help me along this new road. I once heard someone say about making bread, "Don't tell me to add flour until the dough feels right, I don't know what 'right' dough feels like, just tell me exactly how much flour." That's kind of they way I feel about gardening. I need to know small details that someone more proficient may take for granted.

I tried researching what to do with squash that doesn't produce fruit. I found out that I had the male squash, and somebody suggested I take a q-tip and cross pollinate...what? How do I do that???







My 'Man Squash'









Let me give you a little tour of my garden:
My artist husband collects driftwood like some collect baseball cards.I'm very happy with the way my tomato plants are coming along. I had read that the sucker branches should be trimmed off. I have been doing some guessing, but I think I have it figured out now.The branches that come out below aren't producing fruit, they also have a different sheen to the leaf, they're not as fuzzy, so I cut those off.I keep all branches close to the ground trimmed off and feed them a mix of powdered milk and Epsom salt every other week. On the other weeks I feed them 'Plant Amp' with the rest of my garden. (Plant Amp is a 100% natural - will be able to label organic soon- plant feeder. I love it! I don't think they have a website, but their contact # is 765-528-2168, they're out of New Castle, Indiana)My peppers are also doing well. I had planted these in an old tire and they really thrive in there. How do I know when it's ready to be picked? Should I be staking these because pretty soon there will be a lot of weight in peppers on this little guys.
I had started some peppers from seed (the others were bought in flats) so I recently put them in (they may be flowers...we lost track of the markers, I guess we'll know when thye bloom...). I use newspapers as a weed barrier and it also holds in moisture. They don't last for more than a month, so I have to re-paper a few of my plants now.These cucumbers are also a new addition to our garden. We got them from a nursery because out of the ones I started from seed only one lived... but it's doing wellsee them?


The canta-loupe is taking off, so is the cabbage. I had to place my size 11 foot (9.5 mens) near the cabbage to give perspective. We have many many many cabbages thanks to Bill's amazing deal getting ways. The leaves are getting holes and I'm concerned. I started spraying them with a dish soap water mixture today.

My egg plants are all in blossom now. If you notice, there are tons of holes in the leaves. After some research we found the culprit to be a 'potato jumping flea' it's actually a beadle that's very hard to get rid of (they say), I sprayed them with the soap/water mixture as well. Any ideas for my egg plants?The cauliflower (Left) and broccoli (right) are also doing well, I'm just eagerly awaiting some sign of fruitage....Only one of my pumpkin's survived from seed, but after looking at it today, maybe that's enough!
I planted peas in the front of our home. I was thinking they were doing pretty well, we've eaten a dozen or so already, then I saw a picture of a friend's peas and realized these are nothin'! A friend gave me some chard, I don't know where I'm going to put it, I have some ideas, you can tell me what you think as I mention them... Maybe between the blackberry and raspberry bushes?I planted fennel,
and mint on the side of my house. It gets 1/4 sun, maybe I could plant the chard in the rest of the space there?I could use it as an edging for our front flower garden. See the fuchsia circle, recognize what's in it?






Poison Ivy!






I have basil and parsley in a planter, I've been eating them now, I don't know if they will ever really get to grow up!I have been trying my hand at the hanging tomato baskets. My success rate isn't 100% yet, but I have some good ones done. I plan on doing a step by step video - so stay tuned!
Thanks for visiting my garden, please comment on areas that will help me become a better gardener. I'm excited to read them!

4 comments:

  1. I have never heard of the male squash thing, but if they don't get sun all day long the flowers will not turn into fruit

    ReplyDelete
  2. This will be great for me. I will blog about my garden some day. I don't know how you find time! I love the news paper idea. I may try that. Good luck and now I just need to know how to can!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden looks GREAT! I am jealous mine does not look that good. I have used newspaper but I like the way that you did better. Also this is the first year I am pruning my tomatoes and they seem to be doing well. I have almost NO branches on the plants. They say that tomatoes grow bigger and better if they have enough air to circulate around the actual tomato.

    Our squash are not doing anything but turning yellow. I think it might be not enough sun, so I will be moving them. I have heard about the male plant before but I have never done anything with it when I have had the same problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have no idea about planting things either (see my blog post) but i will read yours and we can learn together!

    ReplyDelete